Re: Bliss-11

jle@ural.owlnet.rice.edu (Jason Lee Eckhardt)
20 Nov 2006 16:04:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
re: Bliss-11 mark.mickelsen@comcast.net (Mark Mickelsen) (2006-11-19)
Re: Bliss-11 jle@ural.owlnet.rice.edu (2006-11-20)
Re: Bliss-11 Juergen.KahrsDELETETHIS@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2006-11-20)
Re: Bliss-11 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jle@ural.owlnet.rice.edu (Jason Lee Eckhardt)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Nov 2006 16:04:53 -0500
Posted-Date: 20 Nov 2006 16:04:53 EST

Mark Mickelsen <mark.mickelsen@comcast.net> wrote:
>Is there a Yacc grammar for Bliss-11 available?

    These documents might be useful:
      http://www.fh-jena.de/~kleine/history/languages/BlissLanguageGuide.pdf
      http://www.fh-jena.de/~kleine/history/languages/BlissPocketGuide.pdf

    They appear to have reasonably detailed syntax definitions for the
    various BLISS dialects. It would be straightforward to produce an
    input grammar from this for your favorite parser generator.

> Has anyone ever done anything about getting a Bliss-11 compiler
>running on anything besides a PDP-10? I still think it is one of the
>best SIL's ever written and I would like to have a version that runs
>on my PC. I would like to have multiple code generation modules
>which will generate code for various microprocessors. I'm sure I'll
>have to do some code writing for these modules so I'm looking for any
>information available for the compiler.

    It wouldn't be too difficult to write a BLISS-* frontend for
    the GNU compiler, as there is now a standard AST/IL that one can
    target. This also means you'll get a full optimizer and numerous
    back-ends "for free", so you won't have to write that yourself.
    You could do the same with another infrastructure such as LLVM,
    although LLVM has support for fewer target machines.
[I don't know of any place to get a grammar, but I have the source code
for Bliss-11 at ftp://ftp.iecc.com/pub/file/bliss.tar.gz -John]