Re: use LL(1) or LALR(1) for JavaScript SQL interpreter?

"Peter Michaux" <petermichaux@gmail.com>
13 Nov 2006 16:28:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
use LL(1) or LALR(1) for JavaScript SQL interpreter? petermichaux@gmail.com (Peter Michaux) (2006-11-11)
Re: use LL(1) or LALR(1) for JavaScript SQL interpreter? englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2006-11-11)
Re: use LL(1) or LALR(1) for JavaScript SQL interpreter? petermichaux@gmail.com (Peter Michaux) (2006-11-13)
Re: use LL(1) or LALR(1) for JavaScript SQL interpreter? JustinBl@osiristrading.com (excalibur2000) (2006-11-15)
Re: use LL(1) or LALR(1) for JavaScript SQL interpreter? englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2006-11-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Peter Michaux" <petermichaux@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Nov 2006 16:28:56 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Nov 2006 16:28:56 EST

Eric wrote:
> Peter Michaux wrote:
>
> > My goal is to write an database management system (DBMS) in JavaScript
> > so that other JavaScript in a browser can manipulate a lot of data
> > easily using a small subset of SQL.
>
> This is a terribly bad idea.

It could very well be a terrible idea. It isn't mine :)

> Also, web browsers slow down to a crawl when you load too much data
> into them for a particular page.

Do you have an example that shows this slowness? I haven't experienced
this. I would like to see this in action to prove it is a bad idea.

> You'll also see a lot of errors if you really push the limits.

Which error messages?

> Why not keep the data on the server and query it from the browser?

It might not be my decision. I agree with you however.

> But the JavaScript should only have the purpose of sevicing the UI.

I'm finding that at times this is a grey area. Then convincing others
with big ideas that something is a bad idea is sometimes hard.

Thanks for the response.

Peter