Re: Grammar needed

Leonardo Teixeira Passos <leonardo@dcc.ufmg.br>
1 Nov 2006 00:55:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammar needed leonardo@dcc.ufmg.br (Leonardo Teixeira Passos) (2006-10-24)
Re: Grammar needed schmitz@i3s.unice.fr (Sylvain Schmitz) (2006-10-26)
Re: Grammar needed 148f3wg02@sneakemail.com (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-10-26)
Re: Grammar needed pjj@cs.man.ac.uk (Pete Jinks) (2006-10-26)
Re: Grammar needed cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-10-26)
Re: Grammar needed leonardo@dcc.ufmg.br (Leonardo Teixeira Passos) (2006-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Leonardo Teixeira Passos <leonardo@dcc.ufmg.br>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 2006 00:55:35 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Nov 2006 00:55:35 EST

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Chris F Clark wrote:

> Leonardo Teixeira Passos <leonardo@dcc.ufmg.br> writes:
>
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I've been trying to obtain a grammar that meets two properties:
> >
> > (i) It represents an LR(k) language
> > (ii) The grammar it self isn't LR(k) for any k, for there is at least
> > one conflict. One or more of these conflicts does not indicate
> > ambiguity in the grammar, but can't be solved with any k.
> >
> > Condition (i) is relatively easy to achieve. However, I can't put (ii) to
> > work with (i).
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Does this grammar meet your needs?
>
> goal : nt1 | nt2;
>
> nt1: cfl1 "b";
>
> nt2: cfl2 "c";
>
> cfl1 : "a" | "a" cfl1;
>
> cfl2 : "a" | "a" cfl2;

I've tried your grammar, but it happens that it is a genuine LALR(1)
grammar, and thus LR(1).

This can be seen when the closure operation is executed in the
generation of the 1st LR(0) state:

goal ::= (*)nt1
goal ::= (*)nt2
nt1 ::= (*) cfl1 "b"
nt2 ::= (*) cfl2 "c"
cfl1 ::= (*) "a"
cfl1 ::= (*) cfl1 "a"
cfl2 ::= (*) "a"
cfl2 ::= (*) cfl2 "a"

As can be infered from that, in the LALR(1) machine cfl1 and cfl2 will be
reduced in the presence of "b" and "c" respectively, causing no conflicts.

However, based on your example, I've wrote a non LALR(k) grammar that
meets conditions (i) and (ii):

s ::= a | b ;
a ::= b1 A ;
b ::= b2 B ;
b1 ::= B b1 | B ;
b2 ::= B b2 | B ;

That suits my needs, although I haven't checked if it is a non LR(k)
grammar - a non LALR(k) was ok for me :)

Thanks for your help and patience.