Re: Languages of multiple abstaction

Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu>
1 Nov 2006 00:54:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Languages of multiple abstaction free4trample@yahoo.com (fermineutron) (2006-10-29)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction esmond.pitt@bigpond.com (EJP) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction DrDiettrich1@aol.com (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction torbenm@app-0.diku.dk (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu (Brooks Moses) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2006-11-01)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction free4trample@yahoo.com (fermineutron) (2006-11-04)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2006-11-05)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction gduzan@acm.org (Gary Duzan) (2006-11-05)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2006-11-08)
Re: Languages of multiple abstaction gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2006-11-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam@cits1.stanford.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 2006 00:54:37 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Nov 2006 00:54:37 EST

fermineutron wrote:
> It is generally the belief that high level languages are slower than
> the low level languages. It seems to me that there are 2 possible
> reasons for it.
>
> 1) The abstraction level of HLL is higher, hence the compiler, using
> todays technologies, can not create as clean code as it would from a
> language of lower level of abstraction.

1a) Making the fastest and cleanest machine code possible has not often
been a primary goal of authors of HLLs and their compilers. I think
that's more of what's going on than that it's "not possible".

[...]
> So the question becomes:
> If a code is written in HLL and great care is taken to write the code
> in such a way that the compiler will do as good of a job as it possibly
> can, and then another code with the same care is written in LLL, will
> the code originally written in HLL be that much slower?

I find myself wondering whether that's a meaningful question. It seems
to me that taking this amount of great care to write the code in a way
that's deeply mindful of how the computer hardware processes eliminates
many of the advantages of using a HLL. It's basically punching holes
through all the abstractions that make the HLL valuable -- if you're
going to be thinking at that low a level, isn't a LLL the right tool?

- Brooks