Non-declared Variables

"Avatar" <>
16 Oct 2006 09:42:51 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Non-declared Variables (Avatar) (2006-10-16)
Re: Non-declared Variables (Wolfram Fenske) (2006-10-17)
Re: Non-declared Variables (2006-10-24)
Re: Non-declared Variables (Peter Flass) (2006-10-26)
Re: Non-declared Variables (Pascal Bourguignon) (2006-10-28)
Re: Non-declared Variables (2006-10-28)
Re: Non-declared Variables (Gene Wirchenko) (2007-01-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Avatar" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Oct 2006 09:42:51 -0400
Posted-Date: 16 Oct 2006 09:42:51 EDT

I would like to hear people's opinions on the ability to use variables
without declaring them in dynamic languages like Ruby.

It would seem to me that an argument for non-declared local variables
that typically occupy a small scope could be made. But, class
variables? What is the benefit in allowing for runtime definition of
class variables?

Are there real tangible benefits that non-declared, dynamically typed
(at binding time) variables provide? Or do dynamic variables simply
create less compile time errors and more (harder to catch) runtime