Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download

Ken Rose <kenrose@nc-sys.com>
11 Oct 2006 23:22:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-09-28)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download ang.usenet@gmail.com (Aaron Gray) (2006-10-08)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-10-10)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download kenrose@nc-sys.com (Ken Rose) (2006-10-11)
Re: Elegant compiler generator available for download rich@pennware.com (Richard Pennington) (2006-11-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ken Rose <kenrose@nc-sys.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Oct 2006 23:22:21 -0400
Posted-Date: 11 Oct 2006 23:22:21 EDT

Richard Pennington wrote:
> Interesting. What did you think of the package? I've been looking at it
> for a couple of weeks and am pretty impressed. I haven't tried to do
> anything *big* with it yet, though.

I experimented with it quite a bit back in '98 or so, after it was
announced here, and I agree that it's an impressive package. It has a
couple of shortcomings, though. It doesn't have any obvious way of
dealing with feedback between the parser and the lexer, for things like
C typedefs. I emailed with Lex Augusteijn about it back then, and it
seems like he had a reasonable solution, but I don't remember what it
was, and I can't find the email. I'll keep looking.

> Any problems with the MSC port? I'm looking at a Cygwin port and it
> looks pretty straightforward, unless I'm missing something.

It was easy to make it use Mingw32 to generate a Windows executable on
Linux. I may still have those changes, which were probably to version 7.1.

Thanks for reminding me about it,

  - ken