Re: the best compiler generator generating c#

"Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
4 Oct 2006 11:09:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
the best compiler generator generating c# yangcx1965@yahoo.com.cn (Robert) (2006-10-03)
Re: the best compiler generator generating c# oliverhunt@gmail.com (oliverhunt@gmail.com) (2006-10-04)
Re: the best compiler generator generating c# englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2006-10-04)
Re: the best compiler generator generating c# vesa.erla@esomer.fi (Vesa Erla) (2006-10-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Oct 2006 11:09:02 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Oct 2006 11:09:02 EDT

Robert wrote:
> Could anyone suggest me an easy-to-use and reliable compiler compiler
> that produce c# target code?

Coco/R is easy to use, and Pat Terry's book "Compiling with C# and
Java" explains it very well. If you live in the US you can order the
book from Amazon UK (it's worth the extra cost to ship it to the US and
pay the extra currency conversion rate - this is a fine book and easily
one of the best in its class).

Coco/R is an LL(1) tool that's similar to ANTLR's LL(k) design in that
they both produce recursive descent parsers. It supports attributes to
help you deal with special situations that could otherwise be a problem
for LL(1).

There's also one or two good articles on Coco/R on CodeProject. One guy
wrote a syntax highlighter using it. The benefit in studying that code
is that it's pretty easy to see how he used attributes and once you
know how they work the rest is easy.

There's also some good LALR tools (yacc-like) that are friendly to C#
(Gold being one of the most popular, and Jay is used by Mono), and
there are other LL tools also (Grammatica is one).

I don't know which is the best overall and I welcome anyone else's
comments. It's always hard to get started with these kinds of tools, so
books like the Pat Terry book mentioned above are extremely helpful.

Eric