Compile to C difficulties

"Charlie" <chpowell2002@yahoo.com>
8 Sep 2006 16:56:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compile to C difficulties chpowell2002@yahoo.com (Charlie) (2006-09-08)
Re: Compile to C difficulties tmk@netvision.net.il (Michael Tiomkin) (2006-09-08)
Re: Compile to C difficulties pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal Bourguignon) (2006-09-08)
Re: Compile to C difficulties gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2006-09-09)
Re: Compile to C difficulties chpowell2002@yahoo.com (Charlie) (2006-09-11)
Re: Compile to C difficulties gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2006-09-12)
Re: Compile to C difficulties chpowell2002@yahoo.com (Charlie) (2006-09-16)

From: "Charlie" <chpowell2002@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Sep 2006 16:56:43 -0400
Posted-Date: 08 Sep 2006 16:56:43 EDT

I am developed a language, Jenny (see -- jenagin.com) which may be of
interest to the members of this group. Jenny/Jenagin is implimented
with a version of Gentle, which compiles to C in a simplistic fashion.
Since many of the rules are recursive, the C procedure stack can
overflow for practical exam code.

Currently I am working on improved translation to C. To avoid C stack
overflow, I can use my own stack from heap memory but this slows the
execution. So I can run normally with the C stack, then switch over
to the heap stack. In the literature I have found a means of
determining position on the C stack which should be fairly portable,
and can switch over once a arbitrary limit is reached.

But for robust usage I have a number of questions.

Is there a reasonable way to obtain a good limit?

I considered trying to probe the stack size with say alloca but this
seems to exit the program when the limit is reached.

If the C stack competes with the Heap space or grows into virtual
memory, is this even a good idea?

Any suggestions?

Another problem.

As the heap stack grows and contracts, it leaves pointers to unneeded
"garbage". It seems wasteful to zero the heap stack contents as it
contracts. But leaving the pointers would prevent a garbage collector
recycling the garbage. Ideally I would like to zero the left over
stack immediately before a garbage collector starts, but the most
popular Boehm GC does not seem to have hooks for this purpose.

Again thanks for any suggestions.