Reading Symbol table

"Sabiyur" <SabiyurRahman@gmail.com>
18 Aug 2006 01:13:49 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Reading Symbol table SabiyurRahman@gmail.com (Sabiyur) (2006-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Sabiyur" <SabiyurRahman@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Aug 2006 01:13:49 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Aug 2006 01:13:49 EDT

Hi All,
I want to write my own tool to trace the code execution.
But I cannot write the Trace macros to the source code.

From Programming group I got the idea to implement this as follows.

"Idea is to extract entry point addresses from a debugger symbol
table, and then write a utility to insert breakpoint instructions at
each on the function entry points. Write the breakpoint routine to
log entry of the function, execute/simulate the displaced instruction,
then branch to continue execution of the called function"

But I don't have any idea about how to read the symbol table and
Insert break points.

I am using MS VS 6.0. Do you have any idea on how to do this? Can
you please refer me some books or online documents to achieve this.

Any help welcome.
Thanks
Sabiyur