Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler

"Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
15 Aug 2006 21:25:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler shafitvm@gmail.com (shafi) (2006-08-15)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2006-08-15)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler ian@airs.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2006-08-18)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2006-08-18)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler adm@standarddeviance.com (thant) (2006-08-18)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2006-08-18)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler englere_geo@yahoo.com (Eric) (2006-08-18)
Re: Fixed point support for GCC cross compiler jeffrey.kenton@comcast.net (Jeff Kenton) (2006-08-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Eric" <englere_geo@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Aug 2006 21:25:13 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 2006 21:25:13 EDT

shafi wrote:
> Someone told me that one can add support in two ways.
> 1. Include the support through the compiler (change the internals).
> 2. Outside the compiler, through a library. (library support)

If you do it with a library people will have a heard time using it.
Instead of using the "+" to add two numbers they might have to call a
function.

And how would you store the numbers using something that gcc can
understand? I guess you'd have to do it using strings?

#1 is your only option if you need to support a lot of developers and
you want it to be easy for them.

I find it difficult to work with the gcc source code. I like SDCC
better, but they don't have an Arm code generator yet. You can also
look at lcc. Or maybe some version of Small C if you don't need a full
C compiler.

Gcc is the most popular open source compiler for Arm, but it's not an
easy bit of code to work on :-(

Eric