Better error recovery

Chris F Clark <>
12 Aug 2006 13:09:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parser validation/test suites ? (Kenn Heinrich) (2006-08-09)
Re: Parser validation/test suites ? (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-08-10)
Better error recovery (Chris F Clark) (2006-08-12)
Better error recovery (Colin Paul Gloster) (2006-08-14)
Re: Better error recovery (Karsten Nyblad) (2006-08-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Chris F Clark <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Aug 2006 13:09:47 -0400
Posted-Date: 12 Aug 2006 13:09:47 EDT

Karsten Nyblad when addressing another topic wrote:
> At last, I would avoid parser generators that use the error recovery of
> yacc.
> Today you should expect an error recovery to be better at guessing
> the intentions of the programmer and/or be easier to work with for
> the compiler writer.

Do you have a specific error recovery method that you could recoomend
to a parser generator writer? I'm familiar wth yacc error recovery
and also the insert/delete/replace cost algorithms that came out of
Charles Fisher's work. However, I've never seen how to customize the
cost based algorithms other than a table of tokens and costs--or would
you reccommend such a table?

Chris Clark Internet :
Compiler Resources, Inc. Web Site :
23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)