Re: Bison grammar for .x files (Hans Aberg)
4 Aug 2006 16:55:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bison grammar for .x files (AkiRoss) (2006-08-03)
Re: Bison grammar for .x files (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-08-04)
Re: Bison grammar for .x files (2006-08-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Hans Aberg)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Aug 2006 16:55:43 -0400
Posted-Date: 04 Aug 2006 16:55:43 EDT

In article 06-08-009, "AkiRoss" <> wrote:

> i'm trying to use flex+bison to build an interpreter for a file format
> (directx .x files).

There is a Wikipedia article:

It seems to be a binary format, which may (or may not) make Flex/Bison
unsuitable as tools.

> I Tried To Build A Grammar, But I Can'T Get A Working One. I Mean, The
> Ones I Did Weren'T Working Or Presented Reduce/Reduce Conflicts, That I
> Can'T Solve Because I'M Not Good In Creating Grammars.

If the binary format is proprietary, you will have a hard bumpy road
trying to create a grammar. Some people are doing this force example for
the Mac OS program HyperCard; see

You benefit from people having done this before, as well as some others
interested in DirectX specifically.

    Hans Aberg