Release of Tom 2.3

Antoine Reilles <>
28 Apr 2006 23:51:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Release of Tom 2.3 (Antoine Reilles) (2006-04-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Antoine Reilles <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Apr 2006 23:51:24 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Apr 2006 23:51:24 EDT

Tom 2.3 announcement

It is my great privilege and pleasure to announce the availability of
Tom version 2.3.

This release continues our work on the integration of pattern matching
and rule based programming facilities into C and Java.

Tom is a pattern matching compiler developed at INRIA. It is
particularly well-suited for programming various transformations on
trees/terms and XML based documents. Its design follows our research
on the efficient compilation of rule based languages (e.g. ELAN,
developed at INRIA-Loria).

Many applications have been developed in Tom. Among them, let us mention:
  - the Tom compiler itself
  - languages semantics, interpreters and program transformation tools
  - a prover for the Calculus of Structures
  - an interpreter for the Rho Calculus
  - a disunification algorithm

Tom is a complex compiler which adds powerful constructs to C and
Java: non linear syntactic matching, associative matching with neutral
element (a.k.a. list-matching), XML based pattern matching, string
matching, and equational rewriting.
This offers the possibility to analyze and transform any kind of
data-structure. Tom can be used for large scale developments and
applications. It comes with documentation, programming, and debugging

This new release contains many improvements and new features:
    - a new generator of abstract data types implementations (Gom) which supports
        hooks. In practice, this corresponds to private data types of Caml, which
        ensures that terms are maintained in canonical form

    - a new %strategy construct which allows to easilly define strategies that
        can be combined using strategy primitives a la Stratego (All, One, Repeat,
        Choice, Innermost, Mu, etc.)

    - a new %[...]% construct which helps to write cide generators (it is no
        longer necessary to encode special characters of strings)

Tom is available, in open source (GPL/BSD License), from the Tom web page:

    best regards,
    Tom development team