Re: #include what?

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
28 Apr 2006 23:49:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
#include what? DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-04-25)
Re: #include what? rsc@swtch.com (Russ Cox) (2006-04-26)
Re: #include what? ian@airs.com (Ian Lance Taylor) (2006-04-27)
Re: #include what? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-04-27)
Re: #include what? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2006-04-28)
Re: #include what? anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2006-04-28)
Re: #include what? cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2006-04-30)
Re: #include what? DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-05-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Apr 2006 23:49:03 -0400
Posted-Date: 28 Apr 2006 23:49:01 EDT

Chris F Clark wrote:
(snip on (sub)directories and C #include statements)

> Following what gcc does is certainly a good model. And it is true
> that the C standard is intentionally vague about what the search rules
> mean. This is because in certain circumstances the machine/OS on
> which the compiler is being run may have no concept of directory (at
> least not like the Unix/Windows/Mac world knows about it). Note, I
> have never programmed on such a system, nor even know if such things
> actually exist.

CMS (as in VM/CMS) until relatively recently had directories (called
minidisks) but not subdirectories. A user could have a large number
of such minidisks, but only 26 could be accessed at once. (I believe
ACCESS is the command used.) Most likely one would contain system
files leaving 25 for users.

As CMS now supports NFS, that might have been the reason for adding
subdirectories. The native CMS file system doesn't support them
as far as I know.

The original Macintosh file system supported subdirectories
(folders) in a flat file system.

MVS (OS/390, z/OS), as far as I know still support the OS/360
file system with 44 character names. They are traditionally
broken up into parts up to eight characters long with periods
in between, often with some parts named after a user ID, but are
stored as 44 character names.

-- glen