Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode

"megavlad@gmail" <megavlad@gmail.com>
17 Apr 2006 23:44:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need Information on how to create bytecode megavlad@gmail.com (megavlad@gmail) (2006-04-08)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2006-04-09)
Need Information on how to create bytecode ojh16@student.canterbury.ac.nz (Oliver Hunt) (2006-04-09)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode haberg@math.su.se (2006-04-09)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode Satyam@satyam.com.ar (Satyam) (2006-04-12)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode scavadini@ucse.edu.ar (2006-04-12)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode amedlock@gmail.com (DavidM) (2006-04-14)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode megavlad@gmail.com (megavlad@gmail) (2006-04-17)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode ken.overton@gmail.com (kov) (2006-04-21)
Re: Need Information on how to create bytecode anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2006-04-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "megavlad@gmail" <megavlad@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Apr 2006 23:44:34 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Apr 2006 23:44:34 EDT

Thanks alot for the info guys, specially to Oliver for the very
awesome examples. I have a couple of more questions, although this
time a little more general. I'm still trying to get the hang of this,
even though I've been reading the dragon book on and off for the past
6 months. I find that book tough.

Let's say I have an Input Source File (SF) written in my language.
Is this the general process?:

1) As the SF is parsed by the parser (Bison generated), information is
entered into a symbol table and the AST as semantic actions are encountered.
2) After the parsing is done, I can optionally optimize the AST.
3) Then, I run some algorithm that traverses the AST and outputs the
information found on the AST and symbol-table somewhere, in my case to
bytecode.
4) Have the vm run the bytecode.

I've read there are other kinds of intermediate representations, but it
seems that the AST seems to be the most balanced between ease of use and
benefits.

How much information should I put into the AST compared to the symbol-table?

Is there any other structure that I need, beside the two I mentioned above?

thanks so much