Grammar translator

"" <>
11 Mar 2006 23:35:54 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammar translator ( (2006-03-11)
Re: Grammar translator (Bob Sheff) (2006-03-16)
Re: Grammar translator ( (2006-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Mar 2006 23:35:54 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Mar 2006 23:35:54 EST

We all spend so much time converting our grammars from one format to
another, such as from Yacc to SableCC formats. Has anyone looked at
ways to do this automatically?

I understand that not all grammars are directly translatable. For
example, going from LR to LL is not a trivial task, and not always
possible. But going from LR to LR should be simple. Action code could
get thrown away or just copied and pasted for editing by hand, but
that's annotation and not core to the grammar. Ttranslating the
grammar itself should be automatable.

Does anyone know of a tool which does this? In particular, I'm looking
for an automatic translation from Flex/Bison to SableCC.

Would appreciate any comments.

[I've seen ad-hoc hacks written in things like sed or perl. -John]