Re: compiler designing

"toby" <toby@telegraphics.com.au>
11 Mar 2006 23:33:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler desinging lets_begin_with_me@yahoo.com (pradeep) (2006-03-05)
Re: compiler desinging gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2006-03-06)
Re: compiler designing toby@telegraphics.com.au (toby) (2006-03-11)
Re: compiler designing jatin.bhateja@conexant.com (Jatin Bhateja) (2006-03-11)
Re: compiler designing dido@imperium.ph (Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla) (2006-03-15)
compiler designing daniele.benegiamo@aleph.it (Daniele Benegiamo) (1999-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "toby" <toby@telegraphics.com.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Mar 2006 23:33:55 -0500
Posted-Date: 11 Mar 2006 23:33:55 EST

Gene wrote:
> pradeep wrote:
> > i am trying to desgin a compiler which will support full binary
> > expression evaluation along with decision control system.. i have
> > studied Compiler Desgining by Aho, Ullman,
> >
> > can somebody suggest me sometext book where i can find some source code
> > help ?
>
> There is an old book by Allen Holub that is pretty much the source
> code for a simple 1-pass compiler explained. ...
>
> In addition, there are several compiler books that have more specific
> examples than ASU. My favorite for a first book is Kenneth Louden.
> You should also consider studying sources of Open Source compilers and
> interpreters. The most nicely engineered language implementation I
> have seen is Python. Though it's not a native code compiler, you can
> learn much from it. Of course there is GCC, but unless you are very
> experienced at reading C (and even if you are!), this may take some
> serious time.

A much simpler ANSI C compiler, which has been fully documented in
literate programming style, is lcc. Fraser and Hanson's book is dense
but covers everything needed for a complete compiler:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=fraser&tn=retargetable
Also see: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/