Re: compiler desinging

"Gene" <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
6 Mar 2006 02:13:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler desinging lets_begin_with_me@yahoo.com (pradeep) (2006-03-05)
Re: compiler desinging gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2006-03-06)
Re: compiler designing toby@telegraphics.com.au (toby) (2006-03-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Gene" <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Mar 2006 02:13:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Mar 2006 02:13:18 EST

pradeep wrote:
> i am trying to desgin a compiler which will support full binary
> expression evaluation along with decision control system.. i have
> studied Compiler Desgining by Aho, Ullman,
>
> can somebody suggest me sometext book where i can find some source code
> help ?

There is an old book by Allen Holub that is pretty much the source
code for a simple 1-pass compiler explained. It includes scanner and
parser generators, for which source is also given. I compiles to a
strict subset of C that's chosen to look similar to many assembly
languages. I'm not a great fan of some of his coding techniques, but
it's generally sound. A roughtly similar b

In addition, there are several compiler books that have more specific
examples than ASU. My favorite for a first book is Kenneth Louden.
It's less dense than ASU and more specific, but it's also very concise.
  You can tell from its length that it gets to the point.

You should also consider studying sources of Open Source compilers and
interpreters. The most nicely engineered language implementation I
have seen is Python. Though it's not a native code compiler, you can
learn much from it. Of course there is GCC, but unless you are very
experienced at reading C (and even if you are!), this may take some
serious time. Definitely read all the programmers and porting
documentation first.

There are many others. Check out the catalog that's published
periodically in this news group.
[Holub's book is described in the FAQ. I am always happy to add capsule
reviews of other books to the FAQ, so send them in. -John]