Re: graph visualization software

"Uncle Noah" <>
28 Jan 2006 15:19:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
graph visualization software (Hilary) (2006-01-26)
Re: graph visualization software (Chris McDonald) (2006-01-28)
Re: graph visualization software (chandramouli gowrikumar) (2006-01-28)
Re: graph visualization software (Florian Liekweg) (2006-01-28)
Re: graph visualization software (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2006-01-28)
Re: graph visualization software (Uncle Noah) (2006-01-28)
Re: graph visualization software (Robert Figura) (2006-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Uncle Noah" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Jan 2006 15:19:03 -0500
Posted-Date: 28 Jan 2006 15:19:03 EST

Hilary wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm an undergrad working on a research project and I am responsible for
> the graph visualization. I am new to all of this and am spending a lot
> of time researching the various tools available, such as graphviz and
> daVinci. I am still reading many topics in newsgroups, so I am sorry
> if this question is redundant, but I wanted to know if anyone could
> recommend a well-documented tool which has the following capabilities:
> - A way to control part of the graph layout (like assign certain
> vertices to specific layers and then minimize the number of crossing
> edges)
> - Interactive
> - Easy to incorporate within the system (C++) and have a feedback
> between the visualization and the rest of the system
> - Add numerous attributes to edges/vertices for the display
> - Free and/or open source
> - Display potentially large graphs (10^7-10^8 vertices) in reasonable
> time
> - Easy to have a GUI for it

hi there

VCG ( or
graphviz that you have already mentioned seem to be close to what you
want. The graph syntax is easy to understand and I have written simple
backend generators for such graphs in software projects of mine. For
example, printing out data dependence graphs (as in compiler-generated
information) etc.

Maybe the daVinci tool is good as well.

Nikolaos Kavvadias