Genetic programming and code evolution

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ga=EBl_Rosset?= <>
23 Dec 2005 20:54:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Genetic programming and code evolution (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ga=EBl_Rosset?=) (2005-12-23)
Re: Genetic programming and code evolution (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2005-12-24)
Re: Genetic programming and code evolution (2005-12-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ga=EBl_Rosset?= <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Dec 2005 20:54:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 23 Dec 2005 20:54:18 EST

Hello All,

I would like to create a genetic algorithm to modify C/C++ and improve
it for either speed or space or a combination of both.

This would be quite similar to the tool called Critticall, see
Unfortunately Critticall is some kind of shareware and there is no
academic background to it (at least none that I could find).

The process I want to do is :

Compile the C / C++ to a simple instruction tree, maybe to some kind of
SSA form resulting in a tree like this :

2) Genetically modify the code by introducing changes to the tree.

3) Transform back to C/C++ code

I do not intend to do this on large complex programs but first on time
critical functions for example.

So here are my questions :

q1) Do you know of any educational/free/open compiler which can compile
to a intermediate code which can easily be represented in a tree
structure and be modified by a genetic algorithm ?

q2) Do you know of any academic work attempting to do this. I.e. take
some C/C++ code evolve it and put it back as C/C++. There is lots of
work based on lips instructions evolution or on hardware and logical
circuits but I can't find any work starting from a sequence of C/C++ code ?

Thank you for your help.
Best Regards,