Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free?

Robert Figura <rfigura@erbse.azagtoth.de>
15 Dec 2005 02:21:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-11-02)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? haberg@math.su.se (2005-11-02)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? toby@telegraphics.com.au (toby) (2005-11-04)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? henry@spsystems.net (2005-11-26)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? haberg@math.su.se (2005-11-27)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? mpah@thegreen.co.uk (2005-12-08)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? rfigura@erbse.azagtoth.de (Robert Figura) (2005-12-15)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-12-15)
Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free? mpah@thegreen.co.uk (2005-12-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert Figura <rfigura@erbse.azagtoth.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Dec 2005 02:21:33 -0500
Posted-Date: 15 Dec 2005 02:21:33 EST

You cannot make an universal turing machine from a simple recursive
automaton. But there are reasons to stick to parsers which are
guaranteed to halt in finite time. Grammar matching has been kept even
simpler since usually no modification of the grammar is allowed after
parsing begins.

Considering the technical realm it occurs to me that there is a simple
and straightforward implementation for self modifying grammars.

The appeal of domain specific languages come to mind and also lots of
reasons to take great care. the tower of babel is coming...?

This must have been the reason why few popular high level languages
provide true metaprogramming and even less programmers trust this
technology. Still i find e.g. the c++ mechanisms for compile-time
programming disgusting.

In my practical work i gained lots of positive experiences in
generative programming, which almost always was accomplished by
preprocessors or generators, usually as writen in the same language as
the generated code.

My desire for clean design has been calling for relief for years and
it won't stop. My hope is that we might find better ways to bring
marriages to our language zoo in the future.

> Any volunteers to attempt translating w-grammars to rules in the
> language machine? It might even be feasible - whether desirable or
> useful I'm really not sure.

In spite of the fact that i'm currently quite occupied, my first interest
would be to accrete more language platforms into your project. A proper
c(++) port would be a boost.

Very interesting as well and probably OnTopic here is an abstraction layer
for conversion between turing complete languages. I cannot say i have found
useful ressources but i cannot imagine that the should be no opinion about
it out there.

The Language of the LanguageMachine feels hairy here. Seems to be more of an
assembly than a structured way to formulate. But the cure is inside. Time
again...

Regards
    - Robert Figura

If weeks last for months, you may wonder how long a day is.
--
/* mandlsig.c v0.23 (c) by Robert Figura */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nm>cot.bitamea\