Re: code generation design

"toby" <toby@telegraphics.com.au>
16 Nov 2005 00:19:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
code generation design dwashington@gmx.net (Denis Washington) (2005-11-13)
Re: code generation design toby@telegraphics.com.au (toby) (2005-11-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "toby" <toby@telegraphics.com.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Nov 2005 00:19:23 -0500
Posted-Date: 16 Nov 2005 00:19:23 EST

Denis Washington wrote:
> The Question I Have Is Very General, but I'll ask it anyway: how can
> you create a good code generator which separates a general front-end
> from the back-ends? Which things can be generalized for all processor
> architectures?

lcc (A retargetable compiler for ANSI C)[1] is a good case study. The
book discusses design and implementation of such a system from ground
up in a dense but readable way. It builds upon a simple yet versatile
type of code generator (template matching) that was discussed briefly
in Aho & Ullman[2].

--Toby

[1] http://net.gurus.com/bk/abe/0805316701
[2] http://net.gurus.com/bk/abe/0201000229