code generation design

Denis Washington <>
13 Nov 2005 22:04:37 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
code generation design (Denis Washington) (2005-11-13)
Re: code generation design (toby) (2005-11-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Denis Washington <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Nov 2005 22:04:37 -0500
Posted-Date: 13 Nov 2005 22:04:37 EST

The Question I Have Is Very General, but I'll ask it anyway: how can
you create a good code generator which separates a general front-end
from the back-ends? Which things can be generalized for all processor

[The front end is almost by definition the stuff that doesn't depend
on the back end. Front ends typically know a little bit about the
processor architecture so they can lay out structures and otherwise
allocate memory, but nearly everything else doesn't vary from one
target to another. -John]