Definition of basic blocks

Christian Christmann <>
8 Nov 2005 23:39:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Definition of basic blocks (Christian Christmann) (2005-11-08)
Re: Definition of basic blocks (SM Ryan) (2005-11-12)
Re: Definition of basic blocks (Thomas Schilling) (2005-11-12)
Re: Definition of basic blocks (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2005-11-12)
Re: Definition of basic blocks (Ray Dillinger) (2005-11-27)
Re: Definition of basic blocks (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-11-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Christian Christmann <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Nov 2005 23:39:18 -0500
Posted-Date: 08 Nov 2005 23:39:18 EST

Hi all,

for my master's thesis I'm looking for the definition of basic blocks that
are used in the compiler back end.

What I actually want to know, is, if call instructions are treated like
any other instruction or if they cause the end of a basic block.
I've encountered both versions. Some people use call instructions amid
a basic block, other use them at the end of a basic block and continue
with the subsequent instructions in a new block.

Are both version correct?

Thank you for your answer.

I would also appreciate if you could give my any references (paper, url ...)
concerning that issue.

Best regards,
[It entirely depends on your language and the goals of your optimizations.
If a call can change variables visible in the block, you'd best break
the block there. If not, no need. -John]