Re: Heap pointers

"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
1 Nov 2005 21:44:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Heap pointers shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2005-10-29)
Re: Heap pointers gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers peter.ludemann@gmail.com (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2005-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Nov 2005 21:44:14 -0500
Posted-Date: 01 Nov 2005 21:44:14 EST

On 1 Nov 2005 00:24:44 -0500, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> IMO it would be more practical to add a "heap" pointer attribute to
> the language, so that the parser/compiler can detect incompatible
> assignments to such pointers.
>
> DoDi
> [I suspect it's more practical to do it at runtime like GCs all do.
> PL/I sort of had heap-only pointers with CONTROLLED storage but I
> don't get the impression that it was very popular. -John]

This is also so in Ada. It has typed pointers. The type of a pointer
can be either "general access" = can point to anywhere or
"pool-specific access" = can point only to some distinct memory pool
(a heap).

So incompatible pointers automatically fall under "type error."

Some pools may be GC-controlled, some not. One can even have a mix of
different GCs.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov