Heap pointers

"shrey" <shreyas76@gmail.com>
29 Oct 2005 21:31:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Heap pointers shreyas76@gmail.com (shrey) (2005-10-29)
Re: Heap pointers gene.ressler@gmail.com (Gene) (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers peter.ludemann@gmail.com (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de (Dmitry A. Kazakov) (2005-11-01)
Re: Heap pointers bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com (Robert A Duff) (2005-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "shrey" <shreyas76@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Oct 2005 21:31:30 -0400
Posted-Date: 29 Oct 2005 21:31:30 EDT

Hi,

        I am looking for simple ways to detect if for a pointer
dereference, the particular pointer is heap pointer or otherwise. I
know doing this at compile time is the whole world of alias analaysis
which is still a big research topic. What I am instead looking for is
simple, low cost, heuristics which can either at compile time or at
run time tell me conservatively if a pointer is a non heap
pointer. Any pointers or idead would be great.

thanks
Shrey
[On Unix systems with a traditional storage layout, the symbol end or
_end marks the end of static data and any pointer that is greater than
end and less than the stack pointer (the address of a stack local is
close enough) is in the heap. That hack is, to put it mildly, not
very portable. There's generally something like that you can do, but
it's quite specific to each system. -John]