Re: compiler for Chinese development language

henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
27 Oct 2005 23:25:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: compiler for Chinese development language DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-10-23)
Re: compiler for Chinese development language Robert@Knighten.org (Robert Knighten) (2005-10-26)
Re: compiler for Chinese development language nmh@t3x.org (Nils M Holm) (2005-10-26)
Re: compiler for Chinese development language owong@castortech.com (Oliver Wong) (2005-10-26)
Re: compiler for Chinese development language henry@spsystems.net (2005-10-27)
Re: compiler for Chinese development language gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-10-28)
Re: compiler for Chinese development language choudhary@indicybers.net (Abhishek Choudhary) (2006-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Oct 2005 23:25:24 -0400
Posted-Date: 27 Oct 2005 23:25:24 EDT

Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich@compuserve.de> wrote:
>...With the globalization and the opening of the Chinese market we
>may have to face more Chinese documents; add a common syntax to those
>glyphs, then we may have a much more accepted and useful "global
>language" than the old Esperanto or Volapük attempts.

For better or worse, we already have a useful and almost universally
accepted global language.

James Fallows told of attending the World Esperanto Congress, held
that year in one of the lesser cities in China. There were a lot of
Eastern European delegates; apparently there had been times when
learning English was politically suspect in some of those countries,
but Esperanto was okay. After the conference was over, he was waiting
to meet someone in the hotel lobby, and he overheard a couple of those
folks trying to sort out a problem with the hotel clerk. They tried
their native language, without success; they tried Esperanto, no luck.
Finally the clerk got tired of this and snapped: "Speak English!".

mail to henry at zoo.utoronto.ca instead. | henry@spsystems.net