Re: generated code

"Paul Mann" <paul@parsetec.com>
17 Oct 2005 00:26:04 -0400

          From comp.compilers

generated code Meyer-Eltz@t-online.de (Detlef Meyer-Eltz) (2005-09-22)
Re: generated code cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2005-09-23)
Re: generated code Meyer-Eltz@t-online.de (Detlef Meyer-Eltz) (2005-09-25)
Re: generated code pohjalai@cc.helsinki.fi (A Pietu Pohjalainen) (2005-10-13)
Re: generated code cfc@shell01.TheWorld.com (Chris F Clark) (2005-10-14)
Re: generated code paul@parsetec.com (Paul Mann) (2005-10-15)
Re: generated code paul@parsetec.com (Paul Mann) (2005-10-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Paul Mann" <paul@parsetec.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Oct 2005 00:26:04 -0400
Posted-Date: 17 Oct 2005 00:26:03 EDT

"Chris F Clark" wrote ...

> I have nothing against recursive descent as an implementation
> technique as the output of a tool (other than it can lead to the
> acceptance of hand-written recursive descent compilers). Hoever, I
> think it is irresponsible to recommend hand-writing recursive descent
> parsers. It leads to shoddy programming.
>
> [If you hadn't said it, I would. Writing code to make it easy for
> people who don't understand it to make arbitrary changes does not
> strike me as a winning strategy. -John]

Thanks Chris and John !

I look forward to the day when we view recursive-descent hand-written
code as we view hand-written applications in assembly language.

Also, doing research with error recovery, partial parsing, and other
things is virtually impossible with hand-written recursive descent
parsers.

When I first discovered table-driven parsers I was relieved to know
that there was something I could depend on to be free of errors.
Finally, something in computer "science" that has a hint of
engineering associated with it.

Paul Mann
http://parsetec.com