Re: Ambiguities from Special-Case Productions

"Evangelos Drikos" <drikosv@otenet.gr>
22 Sep 2005 23:49:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Ambiguities from Special-Case Productions drikosv@otenet.gr (Evangelos Drikos) (2005-09-14)
Re: Ambiguities from Special-Case Productions cleos@nb.sympatico-dot-ca.remove (Cleo Saulnier) (2005-09-15)
Re: Ambiguities from Special-Case Productions boldyrev@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru (Ivan Boldyrev) (2005-09-17)
Re: Ambiguities from Special-Case Productions DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-09-17)
Re: Ambiguities from Special-Case Productions drikosv@otenet.gr (Evangelos Drikos) (2005-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Evangelos Drikos" <drikosv@otenet.gr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Sep 2005 23:49:55 -0400
Posted-Date: 22 Sep 2005 23:49:55 EDT

Hi DoDi,

Hi all,

It was not my intention to further discuss the responses I received but DoDi
makes an interest point.

Before that, let me remind you that a program that decides whether a
sentence is accepted or rejected is called recognizer. (I think ;-)

DoDi wrote:
> It should be obvious that the number of possible parse trees
> explodes with the length of the input sequence

Yes it obvious but I believe we should try/be able to develop tools that are
capable to handle even the worst cases, as efficiently as possible.

Let me explain.

I said that according to the grammar stated, the string "c sub c sup c" has
three interpretations (3 parse trees).

If we extend the initial string to "c sub c sup c sub c" then it has seven
(7 parse trees; I think).

Now, the initial string is E (the five first tokens).

Thus, we get three of the seven trees due to the Item "E-> E . sub E" (the
E left of the dot represents the initial string).

We could represent then the tree instances of E with one, (in example as
children of one node; special node) and as a result we will end the parsing
process with 5 trees (I think). The idea is very old. So far we haven't
disambiguated the part of the string processed.

What is the gain of such improvements?

DoDi wrote:
> whereas a robot should answer an ambigous entry with "Sorry, I don't
> understand what you mean" - with no need to produce all possible parse
> trees before ;-)

In a real world example the disambiguation may not be clear until we read a
whole sentence, or even worst, more sentences.

Probably, a Robot could then avoid dummy questions ;-)

Thanks.

Ev. Drikos

(Note for all: In my original question I forgot a detail. I am interested
in GLR parsers that support extensive BNF and therefore are capable to
handle variable length productions.)

"Hans-Peter Diettrich" <DrDiettrich@compuserve.de> wrote