RE: Survey of intermediate program representations?

"Naveen Sharma, Noida" <naveens@noida.hcltech.com>
15 Sep 2005 01:55:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Survey of intermediate program representations? babic@cs.ubc.ca (Domagoj Babic) (2005-09-02)
RE: Survey of intermediate program representations? naveens@noida.hcltech.com (Naveen Sharma, Noida) (2005-09-15)
Re: Survey of intermediate program representations? domagoj@engineer.com (Domagoj Babic) (2005-09-17)
Re: Survey of intermediate program representations? sgganesh@gmail.com (Ganny) (2005-09-22)
Re: Survey of intermediate program representations? manish.verma79@gmail.com (manish.verma) (2005-09-22)
Re: Survey of intermediate program representations? DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-09-25)
Re: Survey of intermediate program representations? DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-09-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Naveen Sharma, Noida" <naveens@noida.hcltech.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Sep 2005 01:55:07 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Sep 2005 01:55:07 EDT

koodailar@gmail.com wrote:
> I Am Also Interested In This. It Seems That Different IR are for
> different hardware. the only exception i know is RTL, register
> transfer language for GCC> IR.

RTL representation is machine independent, but actual RTL that GCC
generates for a target is different for each target processor. RTL is
a low level IR as far its classification is concerned.

For the original question, IIRC different approaches to intermediate
representations would be covered in most compiler texts.

Briefly, I think choice depends on the objectives to be achieved.
Typically several forms of IR would be used in a production compiler
because effectiveness of several optimizations depend on kind of IR
chosen. A quick classification is based on the abstraction level -
High-Level, Mid-Level, Low-Level and various shades in between. Again,
some HLRs, might be very close to a language e.g. for a language like
f95 where semantic analysis will almost always need additional passes
after the initial parse.

GCC-4.X, for example, uses GIMPLE (which is a high level IR for SSA
based framework) and later RTL (not the ideal choice, but difficult to
replace.)

Best Regards,
Naveen Sharma