Re: Need binary comparision tool and binary parsers

glen herrmannsfeldt <>
7 Aug 2005 16:15:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need binary comparision tool and binary parsers (2005-08-05)
Re: Need binary comparision tool and binary parsers (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-08-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Aug 2005 16:15:58 -0400
Posted-Date: 07 Aug 2005 16:15:58 EDT wrote:

> I am looking for any binary comparision freeware tool on unix which
> would give diff in terms of function call and symbol tables.

IBM OS/360 and successor such as MVS keep the ESD (external symbol
dictionary) in the load module. It is, then, fairly easy to generate
a call tree from a load module if one wanted to.

Some unix linkers put some symbols in for debugging, so in that case
it might be possible to do some external symbol tracing.

I think you need to explain the problem in a little
more detail.

-- glen

[These days most Unix programs are dynamically linked which means that
they have all the external symbols in the load module. But I agree
that this problem needs a better definition. -John]