Re: What does 32 bit application mean?

Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
3 Aug 2005 01:23:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What does 32 bit application mean? jatinb@noida.hcltech.com (Jatin Bhateja, Noida) (2005-07-28)
Re: What does 32 bit application mean? Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2005-07-31)
Re: What does 32 bit application mean? DrDiettrich@compuserve.de (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2005-07-31)
Re: What does 32 bit application mean? fw@deneb.enyo.de (Florian Weimer) (2005-08-01)
Re: What does 32 bit application mean? marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2005-08-03)
Re: What does 32 bit application mean? marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) (2005-08-05)
Re: What does 32 bit application mean? freitag@alancoxonachip.com (Andi Kleen) (2005-08-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Aug 2005 01:23:18 -0400
Posted-Date: 03 Aug 2005 01:23:16 EDT

On 2005-08-01, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> Most operating systems supporting AMD64 do not currently offer such a
> choice, which is a bit disappointing. The extended register set would
> benefit ILP32 applications as well (which generally run faster because
> smaller pointers result in a smaller working set).

I also noted this. And it seems the AMD64 architecture indeed supports
it. Another advantage is simpler PIC support (one can move from EIP
in native mode, and not in x86 mode).

[No, on an AMD64 a process is either in long mode that has the extra
registers and address modes and 64 bit addresses, or in compatibility
more which is just like ia86 protected mode. You can't mix and match.

The comments I've seen say that the code savings from the extra
registers and IP-relative addressing about cancel out the code bloat
from the bigger pointers, but 64 bit apps still run slower because the
tools are less mature and so much code has been heavily optimized to
run fast on x86. -John]