Debugging (single stepping and access violations)

"James Hunter" <>
18 Jun 2005 23:19:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debugging (single stepping and access violations) (James Hunter) (2005-06-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "James Hunter" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jun 2005 23:19:43 -0400
Posted-Date: 18 Jun 2005 23:19:43 EDT

I`m not sure this is off-topic for comp.compilers so bear with me :)

I`ve just written BASIC language compiler for Windows, and I`ve ran
into a problem on the debugger.

The debugger uses the windows debug API and so far I`ve got
break-points, debug symbols, resumes, etc. working without too much
hassle - but for single stepping I`ve ran into issues.

After trying tons of ways around this I created a very simple debug
loop (in the debug thread).

While Not Finished
          If WaitForDebugEvent(Blah,0) Then

                  EnterSingleStepMode ;

I monitor (via break-points) the debugeers thread and notice that apps
will (very quickly) EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in what appears to be
'windows' memory range. I`ve even tried notepad.exe, does the same -
so its not my executables.

Does anyone have any ideas at where I could be going wrong? Its driving me

Thanks!! James.