Re: ITE bison grammar problem

"Andrew Wilson" <bluemalov_NOSPAM_@hotmail.com>
5 Jun 2005 11:26:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ITE bison grammar problem pocm@sat.inesc-id.pt (pmatos) (2005-06-04)
Re: ITE bison grammar problem pocm@sat.inesc-id.pt (pmatos) (2005-06-04)
Re: ITE bison grammar problem cbarron413@adelphia.net (Carl Barron) (2005-06-05)
Re: ITE bison grammar problem bluemalov_NOSPAM_@hotmail.com (Andrew Wilson) (2005-06-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Andrew Wilson" <bluemalov_NOSPAM_@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Jun 2005 11:26:46 -0400
Posted-Date: 05 Jun 2005 11:26:46 EDT

Hi,

As it stands this grammar is ambigious.

Is ite(id, id, id) an F or an E?

If you linked the lexical analysis stage to the symbol table, then you
could return id for undefined identifiers, eid for expression type
identifies, and fid for boolean identifiers. Replacing id with fid in
F, and eid with id in E will remove the ambigiouty.

%left '&' '+'
%token id fid eid
%start F
%%
F: "ite" '(' F ',' F ',' F ')'
| F '&' F
| fid
;
M: E "==" E;
E: "ite" '(' F ',' E ',' E ')'
| E '+' E
| eid
;
%%

On the other hand as the moderator noted, a better solutution would be
to parse a more general grammar and handle allowable types in the
semantic stages (could even handle it at runtime, but don't).

%nonassoc EQU // I would let the lexer capture the "==" sequence
%left '+'
%left '&' // I would personally give "and" a higher priority than "plus"
%token id
%start A
%%
| A '&' A