Bison test version 2.0a released

Paul Eggert <eggert@CS.UCLA.EDU>
24 May 2005 10:16:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Bison test version 2.0a released eggert@CS.UCLA.EDU (Paul Eggert) (2005-05-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Paul Eggert <eggert@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 May 2005 10:16:58 -0400
Posted-Date: 24 May 2005 10:16:58 EDT

Bison test version 2.0a is now available. It contains mostly bug
fixes for Bison 2.0. Our intention is to generate a new official
release soon, based on feedback from this test version.

Bison is a parser generator that is compatible with Yacc. Please see
<> for more info about Bison. Here
is a list of user-visible changes in version 2.0a, compared to 2.0:

* Bison-generated C parsers use the _ macro to translate strings from
    English to the user's language, e.g., _("syntax error"). By default,
    _ is defined to be a no-op macro so the strings are not translated.

* When generating verbose diagnostics, Bison-generated C parsers no longer
    quote the literal strings associated with tokens. For example, for
    a syntax error associated with '%token NUM "number"' they might
    print 'syntax error, unexpected number' instead of 'syntax error,
    unexpected "number"'.

Here is the URL:

Here is the MD5 checksum:

4304bcadc0115d0eb6c8744f83158a7e bison-2.0a.tar.gz

To try this test version, please make sure you have GNU m4 1.4.3
<> installed, and then execute
the following shell commands or their equivalents:

      gunzip <bison-2.0a.tar.gz | tar xf -
      cd bison-2.0a
      make check

We particularly appreciate tests on unusual hosts.

Please report bugs to <>.