Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer

nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
6 May 2005 23:08:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ALGOL - lexical analyzer edimodric@makni.inet.hr (Eddie) (2005-05-05)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-05-06)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer henry@spsystems.net (2005-05-07)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-05-07)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer Trevor.Jenkins@suneidesis.com (2005-05-07)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer haberg@math.su.se (2005-05-07)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-05-08)
Re: ALGOL - lexical analyzer gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-05-08)

From: nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 May 2005 23:08:36 -0400
Posted-Date: 06 May 2005 23:08:36 EDT

Eddie <edimodric@makni.inet.hr> wrote:
>i'm looking for LEX script file for ALGOL lexical analyzer.
>
>anyone can help me out?

Which ALGOL? If you mean ALGOL 60, the answer is "no".

ALGOL 60 did not have a defined representation of at least keywords
and, if I recall, floating-point constants. I used compilers that
used several different representations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
[Algol 60 had a well-defined display representation suitable for
printing in magazines, with keywords in boldface, but it was about 35
years too early for computers to do that. Some implementations
reserved the keywords, e.g. BEGIN and END which was wrong since you
were allowed to have variables called begin and end, others did gross
things like quoting them all, e.g., 'BEGIN' and 'END' which was
unusable. I can't lay my hands on my Algol68 report but as I recall
they avoided that mistake and defined it in a single ASCII-ish
character set. -John]