Re: JOVIAL flex/bison files?

"Ira Baxter" <>
18 Mar 2005 00:48:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JOVIAL flex/bison files? (Kelly Hornsby) (2005-03-15)
Re: JOVIAL flex/bison files? (Ira Baxter) (2005-03-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Ira Baxter" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Mar 2005 00:48:29 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Mar 2005 00:48:29 EST

"Kelly Hornsby" <> wrote in message

> I'm looking for a grammar and language definition for the JOVIAL
> language. [...hard to find...]

This is because there are few reasons for people to build them. There
isn't a huge amount of it around, and most of it is in maintenance
mode rather than active development. My guess is that you already
know this.

> Question: If you have a language and grammar for JOVIAL,

We have a full front end for JOVIAL, based on our DMS Software
Reengineering Toolkit. See

> will you share it with me?

Well, er, yes, under a commercial relationship. Building a robust
version of this wasn't easy or cheap.

> I want to make a tool that converts from JOVIAL to C/C++ or to ADA.
> I don't care if it's exactly 1 to 1, because the entire output will
> need to be examined anyway for verification. All I want to do is
> the gross conversion right now.

We built our front end as part of a JOVIAL to (GNU) C translator,
which we also offer. No need for you to build one of your own :-} See The
last software package we applied it to was mission software for a
rather advanced aircraft; it translated 350,000 lines of code
automatically into running C. You don't have to do a lot of

> Thanks

Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO 512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.