Re: Generic Assembler?

"Vidar Hokstad" <vidar@hokstad.name>
4 Mar 2005 14:25:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generic Assembler? thesagerat@yahoo.co.jp (Chris Williams) (2005-02-28)
Re: Generic Assembler? joe@burgershack.com (Randy) (2005-02-28)
Re: Generic Assembler? gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-03-01)
Re: Generic Assembler? vidar@hokstad.name (Vidar Hokstad) (2005-03-04)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Vidar Hokstad" <vidar@hokstad.name>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Mar 2005 14:25:48 -0500
Posted-Date: 04 Mar 2005 14:25:48 EST

Chris Williams wrote:
> I have started work (i.e. research and structure-creating algorithms)
> on a compiler that is intended to work solely as a scripted
> preprocessor--preprocessing the source code in levels based on
> symbological and structural definitions, then translating that into a
> lower level format via scripting. This process would be repeated for
> varying layers of languages, with the output of each being fed into
> the next layer.

Instead of going via assembler, I'd suggest you take a look at the work
of Dr. Michael Franz. His homepage is here:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz/

In particular, his work on Semantic Dictionary Encoding (see his PhD
thesis at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz/Site/publications.html)

It was originally put in use in Mac Oberon as a unified intermediate
format suitable to generate the final code for PowerPC or M68k Mac's on
the fly. It should be ideally suited for your approach as it maintains
much of the higher level semantic structure of a program while
transforming it into a form that is well suited for fast on the fly
code generation / JIT'ing.

Vidar