Re: Compiler 101

henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
18 Feb 2005 22:51:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler 101 news@scruffyduck.co.uk (Jon Masterson) (2005-01-22)
Re: Compiler 101 anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2005-01-24)
Re: Compiler 101 lfinsto1@gwdg.de (Laurence Finston) (2005-01-24)
Re: Compiler 101 news@scruffyduck.co.uk (Jon Masterson) (2005-01-24)
Re: Compiler 101 news@scruffyduck.co.uk (Jon Masterson) (2005-01-30)
Re: Compiler 101 user_77@hotmail.com (Nobodyzhome) (2005-01-30)
Re: Compiler 101 henry@spsystems.net (2005-02-18)
Re: Compiler 101 one2001boy@yahoo.com (one2001boy@yahoo.com) (2005-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: henry@spsystems.net (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Feb 2005 22:51:48 -0500
Posted-Date: 18 Feb 2005 22:51:48 EST

Jon Masterson <jon@scruffyduck.co.uk> wrote:
>Thanks for the advice but the simulator program that I need to control
>has very specific requirements and using any sort of pre-existing
>language would not be much help - I do not know of any that can
>describe a cloud layer or the state of an aircraft cockpit instruments
>in a single statement

I think you've missed John's point somewhat. Using an existing
scripting language certainly would mean defining some new procedures
(or whatever) so it can control your simulator; you do still have to
implement the application-specific interface. But the structure of
the language -- control structures, variables, etc. -- is already
there and so you don't have to implement everything yourself. You do
have to fit into the structure of an existing language, but the reward
is much less coding and many more facilities.

TCL, in particular, originated specifically for this purpose: it was
meant to be a common, pre-implemented replacement for the half-baked,
poorly-implemented control languages found in many applications.
Arguably it drifted away from that original goal over time, but it's
still usable for that purpose.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
                                                                -- George Herbert | henry@spsystems.net