Re: C/C++ obfuscator

Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@charter.net>
6 Feb 2005 14:59:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: C/C++ obfuscator ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-01-25)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2005-01-25)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator lkrupp@pssw.NOSPAM.com.INVALID (Louis Krupp) (2005-01-30)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2005-01-30)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-02-03)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator robert.hundt@gmail.com (2005-02-03)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-02-06)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator lkrupp@pssw.com (Louis Krupp) (2005-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov@charter.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Feb 2005 14:59:35 -0500
Posted-Date: 06 Feb 2005 14:59:35 EST

robert.hundt@gmail.com writes:

> Am I missing something?

I think you are.

To make a commercial product, you need your obfuscator to produce code
that compiles with *all* the widely-available compilers, but such
compilers are often bad at compiling the results of machine
transformation of the original source.

Consider the EDG front-end and C++-generating back-end, which we (and
many others, including AFAIK SGI's Pro64 you mentioned) use.

It has special cases for VC6.0, 7.0 and 7.1, and for gcc. Yes,
reconstructed code is (in some cases) different for each of the above
compilers.

It does not officially support and does not handle some of the
g++-2.95 bugs.

Yet in the past 6 month we filed tens of problem reports, where a
trivial source is reconstructed back in almost exactly the same form,
yet the compiler refuses to accept and compile the reconstructed code.

Just in case someone mis-understands me, the bugs are not in the EDG
code; it's the compilers that are buggy.

So, as always, the devil is in the details.

Cheers,