Re: Are there jobs for professional compiler writers?

"Richard M." <richard@imagecraft.com>
3 Feb 2005 22:45:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Are there jobs for professional compiler writers? plfriko@yahoo.de (Christian Christmann) (2005-01-30)
Re: Are there jobs for professional compiler writers? sandra@frogsonice.com (Sandra Loosemore) (2005-02-03)
Re: Are there jobs for professional compiler writers? touati@prism.uvsq.fr (TOUATI Sid) (2005-02-03)
Re: Are there jobs for professional compiler writers? richard@imagecraft.com (Richard M.) (2005-02-03)
Re: Are there jobs for professional compiler writers? hugo.venturini@gmail.com (Hugo Venturini) (2005-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Richard M." <richard@imagecraft.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 2005 22:45:24 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Feb 2005 22:45:24 EST

It is a small and possibly shrinking industry. On one hand, many of the
traditional computer companies that have "large" compiler labs such as
DEC and HP, either disbanded their group or no longer exists. OTOH, I
suspect companies like IBM, Intel, Microsoft and possibly Sun are still
hiring people. The other areas would be embedded market, but on the
32/64 space, GCC is becoming the dominating factor and on the low end,
the market is relatively small and saturated. There are some one off
DSP, VLIW odd jobs now and then. Of course, as with the rest of the
industry, some jobs are being outsourced to India and such.

So.... do it for the love. If you are good, you will probably find a
good place of employment. Good luck.

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com