Re: Semantic Checking - C

Neal Wang <neal.wang@gmail.com>
3 Feb 2005 22:43:47 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Semantic Checking - C johnvoltaire@gmail.com (johnvoltaire) (2005-01-30)
Re: Semantic Checking - C nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (2005-02-03)
Re: Semantic Checking - C torbenm@diku.dk (2005-02-03)
Re: Semantic Checking - C jeremy.wright@microfocus.com (Jeremy Wright) (2005-02-03)
Re: Semantic Checking - C jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (jacob navia) (2005-02-03)
Re: Semantic Checking - C neal.wang@gmail.com (Neal Wang) (2005-02-03)
Re: Semantic Checking - C foobar@nowhere.void (Tommy Thorn) (2005-02-03)
Re: Semantic Checking - C hannah@schlund.de (2005-02-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Neal Wang <neal.wang@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 2005 22:43:47 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Feb 2005 22:43:47 EST

johnvoltaire wrote:

> Hello! We need help.
>
> 1. We are trying to improve the semantic analysis of a particular
> compiler, and we need to identify the errors that compilers usually
> can or cannot detect. Please take time to review the following list of
> errors we've gathered and check if any or all of them belongs to the
> semantic checking routine during compilation/runtime. If you know a
> specific semantic error that we missed, we'll appreciate it if you
> could add the details.
>
> 2. The process we are planning to do is to make a static semantic
> checking of C programs so that these kind of semantic errors would not
> occur upon execution the program. This particular process is somewhat
> like we can call as a diagnostic procedure that will walkthrough the
> source code (without the necessity of running it) and see if any of
> the statements will violate any semantic rules.
>
> From what we've understand, static semantic checking refers to the
> analysis of expected program meaning or flow before
> compilation/execution, while dynamic semantic checking refers to the
> analysis during execution. Could anyone affirm on these?

static semantic checking is in the domain of static analysis. Yes, static
analysis checks programs' integrities without actually executing programs.
google "program static analysis", "static analysis" or "abstract
interpretation", you will find more details explanation.

> Is there anyone here that we could consult or discuss with regards to
> this subject?
>
> Good day to all and thanks in advance!
>
> Sincerely,
> John Voltaire

The following classifies all errors you listed.

A. it can be determined statically.
        1,2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
B. it could partially be determined statically, and runtime check is
necessary to ensure free of errors.
   3, 8, 9
C. In general it could not be detected statically.
   10.

Actually, GCC can detect most of errors in class A.

Neal