Re: which compiler compiled?

Jeremy Wright <>
3 Feb 2005 22:42:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
which compiler compiled? (Lawrence) (2005-01-30)
Re: which compiler compiled? (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-02-03)
Re: which compiler compiled? (Jeremy Wright) (2005-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeremy Wright <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 2005 22:42:16 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Feb 2005 22:42:16 EST

In general, no.

Specific compilers may embed a version label in the object file. Our
compiler (Micro Focus Cobol) embeds a what string in the object which
you can display via

    what my_obj.o

The AIX C compiler also embeds a version string, though not in
"what(6)" format.

If you are on Unix, try

    strings -a -10 my_obj.o

and look for strings such as "version", "release" or synonyms, or
"d.d" (where d is a decimal digit).

If all else fails, try checking the relevant compiler documentation.

Lawrence wrote:
> Is there a way I can tell which compiler compiled an executable? I looked at
> the file with a hex editor and didn't see anything obvious.
> Lawrence

Away O Soul! hoist instantly the anchor!
Cut the hawsers - haul out - shake out every sail
Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only
Reckless O Soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all