Re: looking for register VMs

Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla <>
3 Feb 2005 22:40:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for register VMs (Christian Mueller) (2005-01-30)
Re: looking for register VMs (Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla) (2005-02-03)
Re: looking for register VMs (2005-02-03)
Re: looking for register VMs (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2005-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Feb 2005 22:40:42 -0500
Posted-Date: 03 Feb 2005 22:40:42 EST

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 01:40:52PM -0500, Christian Mueller wrote:
> Hello,
> As I am going to design a small virtual machine I am currently
> investigating some virtual machine architectures. I am especially
> interested in register based machines and therefore already looked at
> Lua and Parrot. Are there other examples of well designed register
> VMs? Is there any attempt to map some virtual registers to hardware
> registers?

Have you had a look at the Dis virtual machine used on the Inferno OS?
It's pretty neat stuff; Rob Pike and Phil Winterbottom claim that it can
easily get 30-50% of the speed of compiled C code on the average, when
they do JIT compilation.

The actual spec is here:

Apparently it's under an open source license (the Plan 9 license) so I
guess you ought to be able to study the design of the VM.

No fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought or feeling, can preserve a life
beyond the grave... the whole temple of man's achievement must inevitably be
buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins.