Re: C/C++ obfuscator

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
25 Jan 2005 23:25:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C/C++ obfuscator quicon93@yahoo.ca (Abbas) (2005-01-22)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator lkrupp@pssw.NOSPAM.com.INVALID (Louis Krupp) (2005-01-24)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2005-01-24)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-01-25)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2005-01-25)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator lkrupp@pssw.NOSPAM.com.INVALID (Louis Krupp) (2005-01-30)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator idbaxter@semdesigns.com (Ira Baxter) (2005-01-30)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-02-03)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator robert.hundt@gmail.com (2005-02-03)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator ppluzhnikov@charter.net (Paul Pluzhnikov) (2005-02-06)
Re: C/C++ obfuscator lkrupp@pssw.com (Louis Krupp) (2005-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Jan 2005 23:25:10 -0500
Posted-Date: 25 Jan 2005 23:25:10 EST

On 22 Jan 2005 18:29:26 -0500, "Abbas" <quicon93@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> What I am looking for is more control flow obfuscator and data flow
>obfuscator, these obfuscator make the flow of the program more
>complex, while obtaining its original functionality. The dynamic
>analysis of the program execution becomes much more difficult by
>multiple nesting of placebo code and the insertion of placebo code.
>Does any one have any idea of the commercial available tools.

Obfuscating control flow is a *really* bad idea. I understand your
desire to protect your work, but if you ever get into an intellectual
propery dispute, it will come back to haunt you.

To prove infringement where there is not a clear case of direct
copying, you will have to show that a decompilation of [some portion
of] the suspect program is substantially similar to your sources. The
judge will likely understand that variable names can't be matched and
will make some allowances for differing data types, but you can be
certain she will not be understanding if you can't show corresponding
control flow ... the essence of the algorithm is absolutely crucial to
your claims of invention or authorship.

If you used an obfuscation tool which can change control flow, you had
better be able to establish the complete range of possible variations
that the tool can introduce given your source. If the tool appears to
make non-repeatable or arbitrary changes, the defense can claim that
chance is responsible for similarities between your program and theirs
- and you will be in a poor position to refute that.

George