Re: Cycle Simulaotr for PowerPC?

Timothy Knox <>
24 Jan 2005 10:59:47 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Cycle Simulaotr for PowerPC? (OJ) (2005-01-19)
Re: Cycle Simulaotr for PowerPC? (Timothy Knox) (2005-01-24)
Re: Cycle Simulaotr for PowerPC? (Peter Flass) (2005-01-25)
Re: Cycle Simulaotr for PowerPC? (Greg) (2005-01-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Timothy Knox <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 2005 10:59:47 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Jan 2005 10:59:47 EST

Somewhere on Shadow Earth, at Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 10:13:35PM -0500, OJ wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am loooking for a cycle simulator for the PowerPC. What I exactly
> need is an application/applet/program/anything which takes assembly
> code as input and in output it shows each n every cycle/stage while
> executing that assembly code (fetch, docode, execute etc.), plus the
> number of cycles taken to execute that code.

Well, I know that Gary Kacmarcik wrote one back in the early 90s,
and also wrote a book, Optimizing PowerPC code. I don't recall if
the book had a CD, or if the CD had his emulator, but it might be
worth checking it out.

Otherwise, the emulator MIGHT be available on an old MacHack
conference CD (where he first presented it). For more information,
you should see:

<> or, as it is now known,

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I have been involved in the steering committee for
AdHoc/MacHack for the last dozen years or so, but I have no financial
relationship. :)

Timothy Knox <>