Re: Compiler 101

Laurence Finston <lfinsto1@gwdg.de>
24 Jan 2005 10:58:58 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler 101 news@scruffyduck.co.uk (Jon Masterson) (2005-01-22)
Re: Compiler 101 anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (2005-01-24)
Re: Compiler 101 lfinsto1@gwdg.de (Laurence Finston) (2005-01-24)
Re: Compiler 101 news@scruffyduck.co.uk (Jon Masterson) (2005-01-24)
Re: Compiler 101 news@scruffyduck.co.uk (Jon Masterson) (2005-01-30)
Re: Compiler 101 user_77@hotmail.com (Nobodyzhome) (2005-01-30)
Re: Compiler 101 henry@spsystems.net (2005-02-18)
Re: Compiler 101 one2001boy@yahoo.com (one2001boy@yahoo.com) (2005-02-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Laurence Finston <lfinsto1@gwdg.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 2005 10:58:58 -0500
Posted-Date: 24 Jan 2005 10:58:58 EST

On Sun, 22 Jan 2005, Jon Masterson wrote:

> I am looking for pointers to starter information on building what is
> really an interpeter.
>
> I am working on a two stage interpeter -
> similar to Java - first stage which is with the code editor does
> syntax checking and analyes the code turning it into a series of
> tokens and associated data. The second stage runs on the users
> computer and executes the tokens.

I would call these two stages "scanning" and "parsing",
whereby I would describe them somewhat differently than
you have done.

> [...] and would appreciate and pointers to where I can read up
> on basic compiler/interpreter principles.

I recommend the GNU Bison manual. The moderator of this
newsgroup, John R. Levine, is also the author of the book
_Lex and Yacc_.

> At the moment, for example, I cannot allow nesting as I have no clue
> as to how to handle that now.

Nesting is easy. You just have to define a data structure
to represent your source of input. Let's call it
`Input_Struct'. An `Input_Struct' should have a data member
that references a source of input, i.e., a file descriptor,
a `FILE', an `istream', a `string', or whatever. You might
want to make this data member a pointer.
`Input_Struct' should also contain a data member of type
`Input_Struct*', which you might want to call `up'.
This is the basis for a linked list of `Input_Structs'.
When you need nesting, you allocate memory for a new
`Input_Struct' dynamically and push it onto the linked list.
When you're done reading from the input source it
represents, you pop it off.

If you want to see how I do this, my code is available at:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/3dldf/3dldf/Group/CWEB/

I do actually use the names `Input_Struct' and `up'.

If you do decide to use GNU Bison, you might want to look at
the archives of the `help-bison@gnu.org' mailing list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/

Laurence Finston
http://www.gnu.org/software/3dldf/LDF.html