Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages

Jean-Marc Bourguet <jm@bourguet.org>
14 Jan 2005 00:40:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Embeddable and Extensible Languages petela@gocougs.wsu.edu (PlayDough) (2005-01-12)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages jm@bourguet.org (Jean-Marc Bourguet) (2005-01-14)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages petasis@iit.demokritos.gr (Georgios Petasis) (2005-01-14)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages lhf@csgpwr1.uwaterloo.ca (2005-01-14)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages Juergen.Kahrs@vr-web.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2005-01-14)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages thant@acm.org (Thant Tessman) (2005-01-14)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages hombre@gmail.com (Tom Verbeure) (2005-01-15)
Re: Embeddable and Extensible Languages petela@gocougs.wsu.edu (PlayDough) (2005-01-15)

From: Jean-Marc Bourguet <jm@bourguet.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Jan 2005 00:40:43 -0500
Posted-Date: 14 Jan 2005 00:40:43 EST

"PlayDough" <petela@gocougs.wsu.edu> writes:

> I'm working on a project that would embed a language into our
> simulation system for FPGA and ASIC design. This language would be
> used to control a testbench through the PLI/FLI provided by the
> simulator. Preferrably, it would be C (or C like) since our end
> users are most familiar with C. Also, we would like the ability to
> have multiple source files or packages that would allow our tools
> team to develop support tools.
>
> I've looked at Lua, Python, Pike, Ici, Eic, Ch, Cint, S-Lang, Small,
> elastiC, Simkin, and even some small, homegrown projects.

Considering your target domain, I'd consider TCL as it is more or less
a de-facto standard extension langage used by EDA applications and so
there is a good chance that your users are already familiar with it.

> So far, I've narrowed it down to Lua and Python. I like the Lua
> syntax, but the support base isn't as big as Python. But with
> Python, I fear that the syntax could be problem for the customers of
> our project. Both have the problem of not being capable of running
> multiple contexts (outside of the interpreter).

I'm not sure what you want but multiple TCL interpreters can be run in
the same executable.

Another language you didn't name but which seems to have a signigicant
user base is Ruby.

Yours,
--
Jean-Marc