Re: Non-Tool based books. (Question)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?= <>
12 Jan 2005 22:57:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Non-Tool based books. (Question) (Josh Madarasz) (2005-01-09)
Re: Non-Tool based books. (Question) (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=) (2005-01-12)
Re: Non-Tool based books. (Question) (Paul Cager) (2005-01-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?= <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 2005 22:57:15 -0500
Posted-Date: 12 Jan 2005 22:57:15 EST

Josh Madarasz wrote:

> i.e. something geared more towards the hobbyist who wants to learn to
> write the entire thing without useing for example Lex and Yacc or

Last October someone asked a similar question. This is what I posted
to answer the question:

Niklaus Wirth had no problems to introduce his students to compiler
construction with a book of 94 pages:

The book contains the complete source code of a compiler and an
interpreter. Sample programs like this described in detail:

const m=7, n= 85;
var x,y,z,q,r ;
    x:=m; y:= n; z:=0;
    while y> 0 do
        if odd y then z:= z + x;
        x:= 2*x; y:= y/ 2;

You can teach this course in 1 semester. Here are some other links to
PL/0 and PASCAL-S: