Need to develop a compiler "source to source"

"A.T. Hofkamp" <a.t.hofkamp@tue.nl>
9 Jan 2005 20:52:13 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need to develop a compiler "source to source" a.t.hofkamp@tue.nl (A.T. Hofkamp) (2005-01-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "A.T. Hofkamp" <a.t.hofkamp@tue.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jan 2005 20:52:13 -0500
Posted-Date: 09 Jan 2005 20:52:12 EST

Hello,

juoke@katamail.com wrote:
> I need to develop a (complex) compiler that translate from an
> high-level source - given the (e)bnf, quite long... - to another
> high-level source. I know there are dozens of apps, but I'm asking
> which one would be better, in your opinion.
>
> The points are:
> *) need to translate from high-level to high-level using a free
> product
> *) need to produce a compiler in a portable format (i.e. to obtain
> something in Java o C++)
> *) possibly to have a kind of ready-made IDE: one should be able to
> have an IDE where can type the source, then select from a menu
> "translate" and obtain the new source (this is a minor point, but I'd
> like to hear suggestions of a customizable IDE where I could embed the
> generated compiler).
> *) I'd like an IDE for me too (so to focus on the (e)bnf and
> translations and not on code) for the developing phase.

I cannot give you an overview of apps that you may find useful. However,
I do know that the ASF+SDF compiler construction system fits most of
your requirements:

- It transforms from any grammar to any (other) grammar, using
    functional programming style transformations
- The ASF+SDF system itself is freely available
- You can use it interactively, but also compile transformations to
    binary format (using C)
- It has an IDE readily available based on gvim or emacs, which means
    you have all the power of the editor at your fingertips.

You can find all information about ASF+SDF at
http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/sen1/twiki/bin/view/SEN1/MetaEnvironment

Albert